Dosage & Administration
The recommended reconstituted oral dose of Gleolan is 20 mg/kg.
Reconstitution of Gleolan
Gleolan powder must be reconstituted prior to oral administration by a healthcare provider according to the following instructions:
- Determine the total number of vials needed to achieve the intended dose for the patient according to the equation below (rounded up to the nearest whole vial). More than one vial may be required
- Using an appropriate volumetric measuring device (e.g., flask, graduated cylinder, dosing syringe), measure 50 mL of drinking water and add to each vial containing 1,500 mg of Gleolan.
- For oral solution: 1,500 mg ALA HCl lyophilized powder, equivalent to 1,170 mg ALA per vial. The reconstituted ALA HCl solution contains 30 mg per mL and is clear and colorless to slightly yellowish in color.
Determine the total number of vials needed to achieve the intended dose for the patient according to the equation below (rounded up to the nearest whole vial):
Administer Gleolan to patient orally 3 hours (range 2 to 4 hours) before anesthesia.
Calculate the administration volume, in mL, to achieve the intended dose according to the following equation (volume is weight based dependent):
Use appropriate visualization techniques with appropriate surgical microscopes and light source filters. For full dosing, administration and reconstitution information, please consult the Full Prescribing Information.
Medical Information Request Form
- Please complete all required fields (*).
- Include only one healthcare professional’s inquiry per form.
Please note that any requests for published literature or journal reprints may fall under the physician payment reporting provisions of Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 (the “Sunshine Provisions”) or other applicable state laws. These provisions require that all applicable manufacturers track and report to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) or applicable state agency, all transfers of value to U.S. Physicians, specifically including the value or journal reprints.